On November 7, 2017, the citizens of Denver passed the Denver Green Roof Initiative 54.3% to 45.7%. This initiative will now pass through various stages of implementation.
- First, rules will be drafted to better clarify the ordinance as it is currently written. No changes will be made to the actual ordinance at this time. These rules should become available to the public December 26, 2017 and will be open for written comments upon its release. This period shall last approximately 30 days. The city will hold a final Public Comment Hearing January 17, 2018. The time and location is still currently TBD.
- Second, the City is forming a Green Roofs Review Task Force of stakeholders to develop recommended modifications, clarifications, and improvements to the initiative through a collaborative, consensus-based process. The Green Roofs Review Task Force meetings will be open to the public to observe. Please sign up for the newsletter, where you will receive updates on the task force’s work and opportunities for broader public input. Please Note, any changes to the initiative would require a super-majority of 10 City Council votes, which could not happen until mid-2018 at the earliest.
- Lastly, Mayor Hancock will be choosing members of the Green Roof Technical Advisory Group. This group shall make recommendations for consideration by the Denver Planning Board with respect to:
- Technical issues relating to the creation, implementation and development of the City of Denver Green Roof Construction Standard;
- Possible amendments to the Denver Green Roof Construction Standard; and
- Take part in periodic review of the Denver Green Roof Construction Standard.
Thank you to all who voted in favor of this ordinance. We will continue to fight on your behalf to ensure proper implementation of this ordinance.